Home - Ties!




I never knew that cities could attach people. I am talking about the genuine aspect. I am talking about the love you have for the place not the job/opportunity craze. Very strong emotions get involved in a city and to the extent that when you leave you feel like you are leaving your place, your identity, your upbringing, your secrets, your fights and your tears. She has witnessed your growth, your fall, your each and every step. She has been the major concern in every decision you take. Most of the times you take up a job which is near to her, so that you can fly and visit her anytime. She just knows everything! Yes knowingly or unknowing we connect to the place. The city welcomes you in her arms, gives you comfort and she is your support system. Obviously how can anyone forget and ignore the comparisons made by your heart of the city at you are right now with the one you love! Each turning, each hoarding, each traffic signal speaks about it. It forces you to compare and also sometimes encourage you enough to take on with the other’s favourite city! Oh yes she speak volumes!

My city Nagpur (fondly called The Orange City) is a small peaceful, pleasant (except the extremely severe summers!) and clean city. Nevertheless she is growing! She is expanding her little wings. Besides being the “Zero Mile” of the country or the “Winter Capital” of the State, she has been a major sport in the Indian History. Be it the Yadava, Maratha or Peshwe era, she has witnessed it all. She happily launched India’s first textile mill, first non-cooperation movement, RSS and the Dalit movement! The proximity of the tiger reserves and the hot favourite Saoji dish makes it a must visit of many. Still why is she so less hyped? Why she is less talked about? No idea at all. She is developing, but is anyone noticing that? Is anyone ready to give her a chance?

Few days ago, at a transit airport I met an American Indian girl. When I told her that I am from Nagpur, she was so happy! I felt so proud in explaining my city’s growth, her specialities, education and all other good things that I could think about. A thought just crossed my mind that I will not be there to see her grow! The city I saw will be somewhat different then. One or two new places will be opened and some permanently closed. Those lanes near my home will now convey a different story, a little de-linked emotion. Will it be like adjusting in a new place again? The several miles between us increase the uncertainty of seeing her again, having fun with her again! Even though after some time, still the idea of meeting her again is a pleasing thought!

The question is do I miss her? Quite frankly, I do not, I simply miss being there. I miss going to my known panipuri wala or my Haldiram! I miss going through Civil Lines, Dharampeth! I miss visiting relatives and friends. I miss my activa! I miss being at home! This is something different than actually missing anything.

Now I don’t have the same routine or schedule nor the surroundings or atmosphere. The people are different, so the tastes are different. It’s like making a connection to an altogether different identity! But then, it will be fine. My city has taught me to adjust! She has given me strength to race ahead of the crowd.

Am I afraid? Hell yeah! I am! I am afraid of being away from family and relatives for a long time. I am afraid that the bond may weaken. I am afraid that I might not return back. I am afraid what if I did not like my city then.

Yes I am scared, happy, excited and worried! But this is how life goes on. Now, this city is my individuality, my present and who will decide my future. This is a point from where everything might change. It feels so different here but it feels right. So much to explore, so much to learn and so much to connect! It is another chapter ready to release!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pink Boots!

Go and Live Your Life They Said!

Don’t know why!