And I said ‘Love you Baba’ and ‘Love you Aau’ today!


And I said ‘Love you Baba’ and ‘Love you Aau’ today!

It was as surprising for me as it was for Baba (Dad)! No idea about Aai’s (Mom) reaction! Well, wrote in a text, still, it’s a huge unpredictable event! Surprising because – amchyat asa nasta (it is an uncommon gesture) ! Well, ours is a typical Maharashtrian household, where even giving compliments is a big issue! If you hear – you did a good job, you scored good marks, it was a decent dish – be assured that it was really a great achievement, just because it is their attempt to keep everyone grounded! No doubt, everyone will be proud and happy to discuss about it with others but yes, a direct compliment – a strict no! Not possible at all! Saglach kasa agadi mojun mapun! Kahi urala asel tar tyat ajun urvaycha! (Everything is measured! Be it the talks, gestures or emotions.) Being brought up in a strict household, it has always kept me grounded and yes these ‘not complimenting/ expressing enough’ qualities were unknowingly sipped into me! I always wanted to say these words to both of them, but somehow, was never able to! I always took them for granted! It was very obvious for me to take into consideration that they are loved so never made any attempt to actually confront them! It was also on the check-list of the 'things to do before leaving for the States', could never gather enough courage to say that out loud!

Today I was up till late as usual reading something and I had forgotten to log off from Gmail, I received a personal message from dad scolding about the late nights! He just said – ajunahi tech sangava lagta! (I still have to scold you about being up late!) And before knowing anything else all of a sudden I said Love you Baba! Of course! I would! I would say that! It was so genuine! I went back in time, saw myself reading the piled up Reader’s Digest or novel/ newspaper/ magazine beside my pillow kept for the bedtime reads, and realized nothing has changed, apart from the mode of reading and the little time - zone difference that we always talk about! And I had my daily dose of scoldings too. And so, then I texted Aai – love you Aau! Now I am as happy and satisfied and relieved as I can be!

Is it so difficult to compliment or express love? Is there anything wrong in it? We never think twice before expressing our love for our beloved but when it comes down to our parents, friends, cousins, we get shy! Why? Why is it so difficult to hug anyone? Doesn't it feel great to know that you are being loved for what you are, to know that you are being appreciated for the achievement and just to let you know that you are taken into consideration and not ignored? Indeed, complimenting and letting people know that they are being loved is all what is required to make an effect, to give that little 'push'.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pink Boots!

Go and Live Your Life They Said!

Don’t know why!